how to report fraud
Place a "Fraud Alert" on your credit reports, and review the reports carefully.
- TransUnion: (800) 680-7289
- Equifax: (800) 525-6285
- Experian: (888) 397-3742
- Call the security or fraud departments of each company where an account was opened or changed without your okay. Follow up in writing, with copies of supporting documents.
- Use the ID Theft Affidavit at ftc.gov/idtheft to support your written statement.
- Ask for verification that the disputed account has been closed and the fraudulent debts discharged.
- Keep copies of documents and records of your conversations about the theft.
File a police report.
- File a report with law enforcement officials to help you with creditors who may want proof of the crime.
Report the theft to the Federal Trade Commission.
- Your report helps law enforcement officials across the country in their investigations.
- Online: ftc.gov/idtheft
- By phone: (877) 438-4338
- By mail: Identity Theft Clearinghouse, Federal Trade Commission, Washington, DC 20580
OnlineOnGuard.gov : Tips from the federal government to help you protect your personal information.
FDIC.gov : Tips from the FDIC about how to protect yourself from identity theft and fraud.
FTC.gov : Information from the Federal Trade Commission to help you avoid identity theft and learn what to do if your identity is stolen.